Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Like Stones in the River

Yesterday morning, several other missionaries and myself journeyed to see the falls of the Popo Agie river. As I watched the water flow powerfully downstream, I found myself in awe of the majesty and beauty of this earth that God has created for us. I sat quietly and pondered the different experiences I have had in my life, and as I was doing so I noticed the rocks that lied about around the edge of the river. All of them were smooth with no jacket edges. They were refined.

Doug Walker wrote a song, that came to my rememberance as I was watching the river run it's course, called "Stones in the River." In the song he explains that though we go through many trials in our lives, if we put ourselves in God's hands he will refine us like the stones that I saw yesterday in the Popo Agie river.



Sometimes the current of life tosses and turns us, but as we flow through the course of life that is laid before us, our rough edges break away. We become more like our Savior Jesus Christ as we allow our trials to strengthen us and as we have faith and trust in the living water, Jesus Christ. However, sometimes we allow ourselves to be washed ashore before the water removes our edges and polishes our surface. We lose faith in our savior and refuse to learn from the trials in our lives. We lose sight of what we can become and are left on the banks of the river in a place where we cannot move and cannot progress.

The only way for us to return to the path of progression is if someone lifts us and puts us back in the path of the rushing river. Luckily, we have a loving Savior who is walking down the banks of the river waiting for us to pray and ask him to put us back into the water. If we turn to the Lord, we will become polished, smooth, and reach our full potential. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that song. You should also look up River God sung by Mindy Gledhill. It talks about the same type of things. :-)

    ReplyDelete