Thursday, October 13, 2011

Let's See How Far We've Come

This passed weekend I spent eighteen hours.....in a van! Sounds exciting doesn't it? As I traveled from where my home has been for the passed 4 1/2 months in Lander, Wyoming, to my new home in Missoula, Montana I couldn't help but think about how fast time goes.

We left from Riverton, Wyoming at about one o' clock sunday afternoon, and as I thought about the Journey that laid before me, it made my head hurt. I felt as though I'd never reach my destination as we made each stop to pick up and drop off other missionaries who were also moving. We made stops in Thermopolis, Wyoming, Worland, Wyoming, Lovell, Wyoming, and finally Billings, Montana sunday night. As we stopped for the night, I pondered the extensive journey that we would have the following day, I didn't even take the time to stop and realize how far we had come.

The next day was more of the same story. We continued picking up and dropping of missionaries as we made stops in Bozeman, Montana,  Butte, Montana, and Great Falls, Montana. At this point I was tired and really just wanted to reach where I was going, and do what I'm here to do. I was so tired of sitting in a van for hours on end, but as we continued to travel we reached the east gate of Glacier National Park. I looked and dwelled on the beautiful scenery around me, I suddenly had an epiphany! I was so caught up in getting to where I was going that I had failed enjoy the journey. Not only that, but I had neglected to realize how far I had come. We stopped in Kalispell, MT. that night and my entire outlook on the journey had changed. I was ALMOST sad when I realized that the following day I would reach my destination. I was disappointed with the thought of all the things that I had missed along the way, however I was pleased with how far I had come.



Very often, I forget to enjoy the journey that I'm on. I focus so much on the outcome rather than finding joy in the experiences that I am having. Are you the same way? Gordon B. Hinckley said, "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." Are we just enduring? Or are we finding joy in the many experiences that life throws at us. When life gives you adversity, find comfort in knowing that there is always something good that will come of it. Instead of always looking at how far you have to go, look back and see how far you've come. May we all find the joy in the journey because there is so much joy to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment