Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Miracle of Forgiveness

The other day I was down on my knees begging for forgiveness and mercy from my Father in Heaven when the realization came to me... how can I be forgiven for my wrongdoings when there are still people in my life that I haven't fully forgiven yet?

The Lord tells us, "Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.  I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." (D&C 64:9&10)

When we take a step back, we realize that we are the ones that are suffering from the anger built up inside. Often it overcomes us manipulates our everyday activities. We are completely held captive by the feelings that have swelled up inside. We change our activities so that we don't have to come in contact with those whom we've not forgiven, we avoid them, we are held back because of our own unwillingness forgive. Yet, if we let it go and forgive as we have been forgiven, we are freed from guilt and pain a reap the blessings that the Lord has in store for those who forgive as he forgives us.

The apostle Peter asked Christ how often he should forgive his brother. The Lord in his infinite wisdom replied, " I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven." (Matthew 18: 21-22)

It is also important that we seek forgiveness where necessary. I know from my own experience that it is often harder to seek forgiveness that it is to give it. It's difficult to admit our faults, be humbled, and ask mercy from both those that we've wronged and the Lord. However, when we do so we are relieved from guilt, we are brought into humility, and we recognize the Lord's hand in our lives. True leaders, real men, real women, the best of the best are those who will admit their wrongs and seek forgiveness.

A spirit of love, peace, and comfort will come into your heart as you leave behind the hate, anger, and frustration. As you seek forgiveness and freely give it, you will become a true disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. As such his spirit will surround you and He will become more real to you than he previously has been.

Forgive and be forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment